LTCI policies pay for caregiving services and require certain standards to be met for the policy benefits. One of the usual requirements will be for the caregivers to be trained as a certified caregiver.
Caregiver Training University provides online caregiver training courses, meeting state requirements for senior caregivers to become certified.
Caregiver training for most states covers the basic caregiving skills and will take about 8-hours to complete. Remember that the number of hours includes time to study and take the exam which will confirm retention of the training concepts.
LTCI policy holders may purchase the training for their caregivers and then submit the certificates which are digital and may be downloaded and shared.
The online caregiver training courses for long-term care insurance policy requirements may be purchased for $59 or, for $79 to include a t-shirt and lapel pin.
Caregiver training topics typically include the following concepts:
- Caregiver Job Descriptions, Responsibilities and Protocol
- Care Plan Notes for Documenting Client Activities
- Communication Skills
- Personal Care, Bathing, and Toileting
- Assistance with Ambulation, Exercise, Transfers, Fall Prevention including Adaptive Equipment
- Basic Hygiene and Basic Infection Control
- Maintaining a Clean, Safe and Healthy Environment
- Basic Personal and Environmental Safety Precautions
- Emergency Procedures, Including Basic First Aid and Client’s Emergency Preparedness Plan
- HIPAA PART 1: Confidentiality of Client Info and HiTECH Act
- HIPAA Part 2: Scenarios
- How to Detect, Report, and Prevent Abuse and Neglect
- Bonus Section: Stroke Care and What Is Alzheimer’s Disease?
Certified caregivers are required to take renewal training annually, which also may be purchased at Caregiver Training University. Caregivers maintain access to their training account ongoing and can purchase additional training at anytime along with their annual renewal training.
The certificate the caregiver receives will list the training skills the training included and will receive an outline for their state courses. Seniors and caregivers may also access any information about state caregiver certification training mandates at Caregiverlist.com. Thousands of senior care companies train their staff annually using these online caregiver courses. Some seniors with long-term care insurance policies may also hire a licensed senior home care agency to provide the care services These senior home care agencies will provide the documentation of the caregiver training to be shared with the LTCI policy holders. Seniors with LTCI insurance policies may also contact Caregiverlist to learn more via phone or e-mail as they have experience working with hundreds of LTCI policy holders and understand the different requirements for documenting caregiver training.